By Pat Miller
NF Fest is a FREE month-long challenge for nonfiction writers hosted by the Nonfiction Chicks (that’s us to the right). It will educate, inspire and support you, whether you are testing the nonfiction waters, are multiply published, or somewhere between.
Fittingly, our first February NF Fest is in a Leap Year, which gives us an extra day and encourages us to leap right into this exciting challenge!
STEP ONE1. Below this post is a gray bar with a number and “comments”, like “282 comments”. Click on that.
2. Enter your name and state or country in the box that says “Enter your comment”. Click the 'publish' button.
3. Below the comment box, it says “Comment as: Google”. If your name is showing, skip to step 4.
- If your name is not there, click the down arrow. Select “Name/URL”. Put in your name and website address, if you have one (the URL is optional).
- You may also choose “anonymous.” BUT you will need to sign your name to every anonymous comment in February. That way, if your comment is randomly chosen as a winner, we will know who to give the prize to.
In the sidebar near the very top, you will see “Registration is now open! Join our email list here.” Put your email and name here. Now we know how to contact you if you win a prize!
STEP THREE (Optional)
Join our NF Fest Facebook community for networking and discussion!
That's it! Registration is open from January 15 to January 31. Only those registered during this period will be eligible for prizes.
Once you're registered, get ready!
You may want a notebook or dedicated computer file for all your notes, ideas, and activities.
Print out our activity grid and look it over.
Then, during the month of February:
- READ each daily post from a talented nonfiction author or editor. Take notes. Visit the author’s website. Take full advantage of this “conference session”. Every person who posts is focused on helping you be a better writer.
- WRITE a comment. If you are registered, the comment (only one per day) will make you eligible to win that prize! Add an insight or mention something that resonates.
- TAKE ACTION! Your grid contains 35 activities related to what nonfiction writers do. You complete one activity for each of the 28 days in February. (It’s okay if you do several in one day. Life happens!)
- On February 29, if you did everything above, you will vouch that you read, commented, and took action each day (honor system). That will put you into the drawing for the prizes.
If you don’t register, you will still be able to read all the posts and comment if you like. We hope you will find this to be a fun mini-conference packed with education, inspiration, and support.
- The NF Chicks
- The NF Chicks